It’s mango season, at least in my part of the world of Australia, NSW. I have 4 trees around my house and they go ‘nuts’, hanging so low with mangos that even toddlers would have access to them. What a yellow sweet, juicy and sticky delight! Anyway, this raw mango ice cream I created a few years back when I still gave raw, vegan cooking classes and it was Christmas. I thought it’s a great time to share it with you no matter what the season.
Mango Pomegranate Ice Cream w/ kiwi sauce
Flesh of 2-3 mangos
1 firm mango to decorate
1/3 cup raw honey/maple syrup
1 cup coconut pulp (or desiccated coconut soaked in water)
1 cup soaked cashews (at least 3-4 hours)
lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
¼ coconut oil, melted
seeds of 1 fresh pomegranate (optional, then it’s just mango ice cream)
½ cup desiccated coconut
3-4 kiwis peeled and pureed as sauce (add maple syrup & more lemon juice, if needed)
1. Add everything to a blender, except coconut oil and blend smooth for a few min. Then, while still blending, add coconut oil to emulsify the mix. Pour into a commercial ice cream machine and use it according to the instructions (or freeze in ice cube trays, or baking tray lined with baking paper and later when frozen use a food processor to make it creamy).
2. In the meantime separate the pomegranate seeds by filling a bowl with water, half the whole pomegranate fruit and submerge the two halves to safely separate all seeds from the cell walls and peel. Strain when done after picking all small white bits.
3. Line a baking form of your choosing with baking paper. I used a loaf pan as you can see in the pic. Spread the desiccated coconut in the bottom, then half of the pomegranate seeds over the coconut before adding the creamy ice cream on top.
Spread evenly, bang the container a few times carefully on the counter to remove all air bubbles. Then freeze for 2-4 hours before taking out of form, removing the baking paper and decorating with rest of seeds, mango fruit and coconut.
4. You can refreeze until guests come (even if made weeks ahead, just cover well), but let the ice cream thaw for 20 min before cutting
6. Puree some kiwis, lemon juice, and maple syrup to add a different colour to the dish. It’s acidity cuts through the mango sweetness and adds more flavour.