Give, give, give. Raised a good, obedient girl and devoted Christian I learned from a very young age on to give, to give up on my needs to devote myself to others. It was rather extreme to the degree where I had completely lost myself, exhausted and confused. Even I saw that this kind of giving wasn’t healthy.
Healthy selfishness is one of the best things I ever came across on my own healing journey.
What have I learned on that journey?
– I am the authority on how I feel loved
– I am the best person to take care of myself
– Self-love is equally important to the happiness of others
– Fill my cup first, or how to take care of myself first, so I have everything I need to listen to and help others
– Saying ‘no’ is more loving than saying ‘yes’ and not meaning it.
– Setting boundaries – so very valuable because it taught me what I think about myself and what worth I give myself
– Letting go of friends who try to dominate me is choosing ‘me’ and healthy
– Letting go of family if it attempts to hold me back or keep me small is a step to self-empowerment
– Sometimes Self-love is words, sometimes actions and sometimes inducing an emotional state with myself. It’s fluid and takes a while to get to know.
– Never give up. The inner call to worthiness and being in charge of it is all we need to make it – don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise.