If you make this recipe in your slow cooker, you will want to lay in it after a few hours. The wait for it isn’t only worth it but announces itself for hours and hours. Your entire house will smell for apples, cinnamon, and caramel. Anyway, thank me later, for now, get peeling on those apples :-D.
CARAMEL APPLE BUTTER for the Slow Cooker
Makes almost 2 litres – Prep time 15 min Cooking time 10-12 h
10-12 medium apples (~3kg) peeled, and chopped into rough pieces
3 1/2 c sugar, raw or white (some use even more)
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp cloves, ground
¼ tsp kosher salt
Juice of one lemon (optional)
1. Put apples in a large slow cooker.
2. In a bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt, then add and stir to cover all apples.
3. Put the lid on, and cook on HIGH setting for 1 h.
4. Reduce heat to LOW setting and continue to cook for 9-11 h, until mixture has thickened and browned. Stir now and then.
5. Optional: When the apples are done caramelizing you can remove the lid and puree with an immersion blender, or use a potato masher for a smoothness. I personally love it chunky and leave it as it comes out of the cooker.
6. Uncovered add the optional lemon juice and stir in if you want the butter’s sweetness a bit balanced out. Then keep cooking on LOW for one more hour to thicken up the mix. But if you think it is still liquidy, do not fret: it will thicken considerably while cooling.
Note: Freeze in ziplock bags, refrigerate in sealed containers or eat the butter right away. It is great for desserts, like waffles, pancakes, cream, ice cream, on buttered bread, sweet crackers or a filling for pies, or strudels etc…
You see? I am a fan…