These Red Velvet Cookies are tried and tested roll-outs style cookies. They take no time at all, so if you have cravings for cookies, good cookies that is, they’re just as fast to make than having to run to the store (or send the spouse).
Prep time 15 min, baking time 6 minutes , makes about 30-40 cookies (depending on cutter size)
2 c confectioners/icing sugar
1 c unsalted butter, softened
2-3 tsp vanilla extract or v. bean paste
1 tbsp Red food colouring (or however much redness you want)
2-3 tbsp milk
1/2 c unsweetened Cocoa powder
1/4 c buttermilk powder (found in health store or ebay) – alternative: use milk powder
3 1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp of vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1. Cream together icing sugar and butter. If you have a stand mixer I recommend using it.
2. Add the egg, vanilla extract, red food colouring, and mix well.
3. Slowly add 1-2 tbs milk, can add more after mixing in the dry ingredients
4. Sift together the buttermilk powder, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in an extra bowl to add to wet ingredients. Blend, then add the vinegar and mix in. The dough will be soft but won’t stick to the hands.
5. Preheat oven to 400 F/200C/180C fan forced
6. On a piece of baking paper roll the dough to 7mm (1/4 inch) thickness. Do not dust with cocoa or flour, both will affect the colour of the cookie when baked. Rather mix the two first to dust the workspace if necessary. I usually roll it between two baking papers or glad wrap (ceelo wrap), but have to slightly dust them too.
7. Cut into any shapes and on a with baking paper lined tray bake at 400 degrees for 6-7 minutes. They won’t rise too much, so they do not have to more than 1 inch apart.
8. Keep an eye on them though, as they can dry out fast. When the tips don’t shine anymore, they’re good. They will still be a tiny soft when touched, which is the perfect time to take them out. Their residual heat will keep baking them.
9. Let cool on a cookie rack (take off the tray asap).
Note: They last for weeks in a sealed container, if you can restrain yourself.
Last Note: On the picture I dusted the red velvet heart shapes with gold. It is all possible 😀