Want fluffy & flavour? Want fast? Want ‘oh, that’s vegan?’ Well, then those one bowl vegan chocolate cupcakes are for you.Another hit in my little country cafe I ran for two years, where I usually doubled the amount and froze some for later.
(spoiler alert: no vegan frosting recipe included)
Recipe EASY VEGAN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES, makes 12
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 c sugar (I usually reduce it to a 3/4 c)
1/4 c dutch processed cocoa powder (should not be replaced by cocoa)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
t1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c vegan milk, like soy or almond milk (unsweetened
)6 tbsp vegetable oil/coconut oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (do NOT omit- this is your egg replacement)
1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350F or 180C (160C fan forced)
2. Sift all dry ingredients: the flour, sugar cocoa, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl.
3. Add all liquid ingredients: the milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla and whisk / stir until you’ll have a smooth batter. Doesn’t take long.
4. Spoon mix into muffin paper cups (takes longer than mixing it I find) – you can use batter dispenser as the batter is more liquid than usual muffin recipes. Fill only 3/4 full. They will rise. I promise.
5. Bake for 15-20 min, or until an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean (they usually bounce back when pressed with a finger)
6. Eat warm or cold joined with a glass of your favorite cold vegan milk. (warm they are a bit hard to peel out of the paper, but so worth it)
NOTE: I am not a fan of many frosting so I leave it up to you to adorn these.
- They are simply good – with a strawberry, – cut pear or – a few cherries baked in them, – with more cinnamon and ground cloves, – or sprinkled with sliced almonds.
They’re yours, man. Rule ’em!